The Story of the Church
John Wesley preaching
Wagg Street Chapel
In 1747 John Wesley preached for the first time in Congleton. Then, in 1766 land was purchased in Wagg Street for the first chapel to be built, with seating for 400 people.
But "bricks and mortar doth not a Church make" and the benefit of bringing together the three Societies was further enhanced as the population of the town grew dramatically in the late 1960s and 70s. With a membership of approximately 150, Trinity is one of the larger Methodist Churches in the District. The building also holds a highly respected position for its design which in the 1960s was the first in the area to deviate from traditional designs.
Over the last 40 years or so much change has occurred as the people of Trinity have sought to meet the needs of a changing community. When Danesford (now occupied by New Life Church, and a pub-restaurant) was an NCH (National Children's Homes) school [see footnote], our worshippers included many of the boys and staff, and a number of our members took on positions of responsibility for the school.
Today, many groups are centred on the site with activities as diverse as the Congleton Youth Orchestra, the Child Contact Centre and the various uniformed organisations for young people. The establishment of the Circuit Pastoral Centre in Westwood House has provided a base from which Circuit life may be co-ordinated more effectively.
When John Wesley came to Congleton it was quite out of order for a cleric of the established Church to preach in the open-air but it met an important need. Today we are looking to see how in the 21st century we use our site, its buildings and our people in such a way that God's name may be glorified and the love of Christ shared with all.
(see also an outline description of the town of Congleton)